Saturday, March 13, 2010

Watermelons for sale . . .

I'm not a big Dan Rather fan, but you northerners and city folk have got to relax.

In the south, watermelons are sold on the side of the road. And strawberries, oranges, field peas, etc. And in Louisiana: Shrimp. Also, we love to use saying such as "He could sell ice cubes to an eskimo" and the like.

Now I know if a conservative said it, he or she would get no benefit of the doubt and all hell would be breaking loose. But we conservatives are supposed to be better than that. The weird thing is that it's liberals who seemed the most taken aback by the comment. Well, they did creat the p.c. monster.

Btw, next time we make up a fake stereotype, can we pick something less delicious than fried chicken and watermelon. I can't get enough of either and neither can my fellow white southern brethren.

p.s. If you've never tried it, put a little salt on your watermelon. It's like a party in your mouth. It's also very refreshing on a hot day.

Wow, watermelon is like the bacon of fruit. I can't stop thinking about it. Hmmm. I wonder what bacon wrapped watermelon would taste like?

6 comments:

Nicole said...

The PC Movement looks for ways to be offended.

You and my husband, a northern Louisiana boy, love watermelons, and, yes, he puts salt on his sometimes too. He had grandparents who grew them, and he got in trouble for raiding the patch with a relative (as kids) for breaking them open and eating the middles.

We've been pre-conditioned to respond to stereotypes we don't even have any real knowledge of--especially we northerners. Thanks for the clarification. (Although history shows the Dems/Libs have traditionally been the more racist of the two parties.)

Kat Heckenbach said...

Yeah, as a southern girl I never understood the stereotype--everyone down here loves watermelon and fried chicken. Oh, and sweeeeet iced tea. What does that have to do with race?

The only problem with watermelon these days is that they're all seedless, and around here no one has big yards anymore, and therefore no picnic tables. When I was a kid, we'd sit outside to eat watermelon--NEVER in the house--with a big cloth over the picnic table (the one my dad built himself) and spit the watermelon seeds in our big back yard. And, of course, we put salt on it!

Bacon wrapped watermelon...sounds like something my daughter would ask for :).

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Nicole, no jury around here would convict your husband. Raiding the patch and eating the middles is the sign of good character.

This reminds me of two other episodes. The Ross Perot "you people" comment. Dangerous ground but it is a common non-racially charged saying. The difference is that the Black community does see it as racial so I have tried to avoid it.

The other was on American Idol where a dismissed contestant exited with the words "be careful". Simon and crew panicked and I had to laugh because "be careful" is a common and perfectly innocent saying.

Kat, you are so right. I actually feel uncomfortable eating watermelon inside. It's like eating crawfish inside. It just doesn't fit.

Kay Day said...

I don't know what you're talking about Dan Rather and all that.
But I don't eat watermelon without salt on it. And I LOVE watermelon and fried chicken and I'm a white western girl. This past summer I found the best watermelons at Target of all places. The good old kind with seeds in them.
And Colorad grows some pretty darn good melons down in Rocky Ford.

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Kay, while speaking of the President's inability to get the health bill passed despite democratic majorities, Rather went folksy and said "He can't sell watermelons on the side the road..." or something very similiar. The liberal pundits surrounding him immediately interrupted trying to "save him from himself".

And several pundits from both sides aren't "buying" his explanation.

Now I don't like Dan, but I have to be fair. He meant no racial derrogation.

Thanks for the wm tip. Now we know what I'm eating next time I'm in Colorado.

Kay Day said...

I wouldn't think that was racial either. They have farmer's stands all over around these parts, too. I guess if they said chili peppers it would be taken racially here. But how ridiculous.

The melons are only available a few weeks of the summer. July, I think.