Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ruminations on the whole Tiger thing . . .

First a thought: My golf game has been awful lately. Maybe I should get married and cheat on my wife.

Tiger did not make a "mistake". His was a pre-meditated willful pattern of behavior.

Apparently I'm not human. I keep hearing variations of the phrase "proves he's human". I have never cheated on anyone: wife, girlfriend, even crushes. So I guess I'm not human. So what am I? Hmmm . . . quite the conundrum.

I've always been a reluctant Tiger fan. He is an incredible talent, but I've never liked the way he's treated the fans. I even rationalized it: That's just his personality. He's just trying to remain focused. etc. I've always theorized that he had an elitist streak. So I'll give him credit for admitting it in his apology speech. He seemed genuinely humbled. I hope this carries over to the course. It's the only way I'll ever pull for him again.

Sidenote: He could learn alot from Phil Mickelson. He signs all autographs, poses for photos, and even talks to the fans. Believe it or not, most golfers act like the fans are bothering them. At the first pro golf tournament I attended, Phil thanked me for being there.

Tiger signs no autographs and doesn't even look at the fans. I don't mind him ignoring me, but little kids. Come on.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh, you're definitely human, Dayle. It's just so disappointing for some to find out Tiger isn't a god.

Kay Day said...

What if a guy just wants to play golf. He plays well. He wants to play well. He wants to win.
But what if he doesn't want to be famous? What if that was never his dream?

I'm not saying that's Tiger. I really don't know much about him.
But what if? I personally would hate being famous. But what if my very best writing takes me there? Do I do less than my best to avoid the fame?

I'm just hypothesizing, obviously. I don't expect fame, but it's something to think about. What if that's where you wind up, like it or not, just because you are good at something?

And obviously, I would be kind to my fans, whether I enjoyed the attention or not, so I'm not excusing him. It was just a thought I had.

Momstheword said...

Amazing how a person can "accidentally" find himself having affairs with a dozen women. Sure, they probably throw themselves at him but, hey, he has the opportunity to say "no". I did admire him somewhat when I thought he was a good role model for our boys.......but ...no, not now.

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

I'd have to think about that one, Kay. It really doesn't apply to Tiger. If you don't want to be famous, don't make yourself the face of Nike and do 40 other commercials a week.

That is a good point, mtw. I must confess that it's easier for men without Tiger's "women throwing themselves at him" problem. But I'm very confident in my stance on this because it's such a part of who I am.