Thursday, November 5, 2009

And they call me the extremist . . .

I really don't get the pro-abortion stance. My only assumption is that it's a self-delusional rational for birth control for people who want to be irresponsibly promiscuous.

You either believe a fetus is a human being or you don't. If you don't then you have to decide when it becomes a human being.

But beyond that, I've always been mystified by the following phrase: I'm against abortion except for rape, incest, or the life of the mother.

**(Okay, I'll concede that I'd have a hard time letting my (if I was married) wife die instead of the baby, so let's skip that one. )

Why does a child born of rape or incest rate lower than the rest of us? What a horrible thing to say. Can you imagine what those who were born of that circumstance must think when they hear this argument?

The current trend is to characterize those who believe "rape and incestuously conceived children are innocent and deserve to live" are extremist. Wow.

Why does the value of a human being diminish based on the actions of others or inherent circumstance? Sounds like early mid-twentieth century Germany to me.

8 comments:

Kat Heckenbach said...

I have a friend whose oldest child is the product of a rape. Can't imagine her just never having been born...

I've never been in a situation where I faced the need to choose--both my kids were planned, and perfect, so I know I can't judge. But I can say that seeing that tiny light flicker on the screen when I was only four weeks pregnant, knowing my baby had a HEARTBEAT that early...well, there are just no words. It was my CHILD I was seeing. Not just a lump of cells.

XDPaul said...

Being the victim of a crime never gives you the right to perpetrate your own.

Nicole said...

Amen to each one of you.

Kay Day said...

James Robison was conceived in rape, I believe.

The thing is, people aren't thinking about the baby at all. It's all about the woman. I think it would be incredibly difficult to carry and deliver a baby that was a constant reminder of such a horrendous crime. Obviously to most people the solution to get rid of that reminder and hurry the woman on to recovery makes sense. The problem is, she then not only has to deal with the crime committed against her, but with the grief and guilt from having the abortion.

I can't imagine being in that situation. But the thing to do instead is to gather the mother and child into a supportive community and help her through the terrible situation. Help her to recover from her crime and spare the child's life at the same time.

Nicole said...

As if they care about rape. The amount of abortions from rape can't compare to the "abortions of convenience". I'd really like to see the honest-to-God statistics on those conducted as a result of rape.

Spot on, Kay,and all of you.

Momstheword said...

Jesus was a candidate for abortion, according to our "standards". He was the illegitimate son of a unmarried woman, possibly a teenager.

hindsightbias said...

I just randomly came across your blog. I have a friend who recently was raped and is deciding to keep her baby and has such a positive take on it. Thank you so much for posting this- although I'm not completely sure about my stance on abortion, I definitely can appreciate what you said here.

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

You're right on, Kay. I obviously can't imagine a woman having to go through this, but I would hope that the baby would overshadow and maybe even veil the rape.

hindsightbias: Thanks for the comment. It's a tough situation. I don't know if there's an easy choice, but I believe having the baby is the right choice. Even if adoption is the outcome. May God bless your friend.