Friday, July 31, 2009

The arrogance of some published authors . . .

The actual title: The arrogance of some published authors who don't sell a lot of books yet.

This author has confused published with successful. They have also confused published with all-knowing brilliance in the field of novel writing. Their acknowledgments and interviews have a narcissistic "I've reached the top of the hill because of ..." tone. I'd rather they have the philosophy that I haven't done anything until the reader says "ooh, I can't wait to read your next one."

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind a published author teaching me the craft, what editors are looking for, or how to get published. But please wait until you're a bestseller before acting like one. Or better yet, don't ever act like one.

I won't go into anymore detail because it may be easy to figure out who I'm talking about.

Fortunately, not many authors fall into this category. Most of the authors I've met feel lucky to be published and they have an ongoing hope that their novels will be enjoyed by the readers. And they hope they have a chance to publish another without letting their readers down.

I stopped reading two novels this week. I couldn't finish them. One because of style, the other because of too many plot holes and inconsistencies. The latter was written by one of the types of authors I'm speaking of. He/she may be published, but he/she is not as great as he/she thinks.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I get you, Dayle. Don't know who you're referring to, but I do know this: One book under someone's belt and suddenly they're an authority? A teacher? A mentor? A writing expert? Not to me.

Stephanie Boles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Boles said...

Good post. Thanks!

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Thanks, Stephanie/