Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Notes from the road . . .

Here's my thoughts from 8 days on the road:

Texas is BIG. I mean it's like a whole other country.

I thought west Texas and Arizona were flat. They are not. I'm stunned by how little water there is. Almost every river and creek I crossed from San Antonio through New Mexico to Arizona to Utah to Colorado to Kansas was dry.

It was 104 in Phoenix. Hot right? Not really. I mean it's hot, but it ain't South Louisiana humid hot. It felt like maybe 91. If you don't believe me, come down here in August.

A word about the Grand Canyon: Wow!

Utah is beautiful and the food is surprisingly good.

I love Americans of Mexican heritage. The people of Vail, Colorado could learn a lot from them. It's the rudest, least friendliest place I've ever been.

Woke up Saturday at 6:30 am, attended conference until 2:30 pm, then drove straight to my sister's house -- 24 hr drive. Picked up my dog, drove home, Fell asleep at 10:45 pm. Awake for 40 hours straight. Now I know what it's like to be drunk. At least I think it felt the same. I've never been drunk. Okay, once when I was 15. But that was peach schnapps and orange juice and I just got sick.

Next post: conference notes.

2 comments:

Glynn said...

My son lives in Phoenix -- gets up at 4 this time of year to run or bike -- heat's too much after 6. (We visit in the winter.)

I was in New York City last week -- hadn't been in years. I found friendly people everywhere I went -- hotel, restaurants, taxis, airport. It didn't used to be like this. Maybe Vail could learn something.

Nicole said...

Amazing trip, Dayle. Glad you made it home safely.
Peach Schnapps and orange juice? No wonder you got sick. Makes me woozy just reading about it.
Dry heat is a different gig, especially for y'all.
Love Mexican Americans, too. Some of the hardest workers in the country with smiles on their faces. Good people.
Look forward to your upcoming posts.