Thursday, April 30, 2009

The odd file . . .

At a Christian writer's conference I attended, a fellow conferee asked the editor panel when they thought Christian erotica would become acceptable. To his credit, the editor who fielded the question said "Never" and went on to give a really considerate, thorough answer to a question whose answer seemed obvious.

Of course, she wasn't satisfied and went on to give the obligatory arguments. Sex is a gift from God. He invented it. It's part of who we are as His creation. So what's the big deal?

While all of these statements are true, she ignored the concepts of inciting lust, temptation, and coveting. Yes, it's still coveting even if the covetee is a fictitious character. And, she used up 12 minutes of valuable editor panel time on a topic that helped no one else in attendance.

Need to vent Sidenote: I had the good fortune to have this person sit next to me at this editor panel session. Despite all the empty rows, she sat 2 seats from me and plopped all of her belongings on top of my soft-cover briefcase. When the hour was up, I stood up to leave but her belongings were still on my belongings. I gave the obligatory slight pull and said excuse me. She was looking my direction, but didn't remove her belongings. I had no choice but to lift her things and place them on the next chair so I could retrieve my stuff. Of course, you probably know what happened next. She gave me a disgusted look like I'm the one who was in the wrong.

5 comments:

Glynn said...

Unfortunately, rudeness and boorishness are everywhere, including Christian writers conferences. And church. For the past three years, I've been an usher at church. The vast majority of people are wonderful -- and then there are those few irregular persons. I figure God's working on them as much as he's working on me.

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

It's true, Glynn.

I really didn't mind her question as much as the way she wouldn't let it go and kept pressing and basically looking for a confrontation.

You're right, though. How I react to a situation like the sidenote says alot about me. Reacting to rudeness with rudeness is not something I want to do. I'd rather turn the situation into a positive moment. Sometimes I fail at that.

Glynn said...

We all fail at that sometimes. Sometimes I smile and nod and be pleasant, sometimes I don't smile but grit my teeth, and on one or two occasions, I've returned rudeness with a comment. The southern half of me battles with the New Orleans yat side of me. The South usually wins, but every once in a while -- pow, the yat comes out.

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

I used to work for a yat so I know what you mean.

Nicole said...

It's exceptional when you can sweetly mix y'all's Southern drawl with a snappy "Nailed ya" comment.

Like erotica is equivalent to God creating sex.