Friday, January 2, 2009

Book Review - Forsaken


Taylor Pasbury, a beautiful former Secret Service agent, has started her own security business. Her first client is Simon Mason, the world’s best know televangelist. Mason has been receiving threats from Muslim extremists and must face the most difficult decision of his life, choose between his love for God and the love of his daughter.

If you look to the left, you'll find in my list of "favorite Christian novels so far", Something That Lasts by James David Jordan. Forsaken is a solid follow up leaning more toward a commercial style than STL.

Though the heroine, Taylor Pasbury, is a familiar type-character - (the beautiful but can handle herself against any would-be rapist type) - Jordan does a really good job of fleshing out the character, giving the why's and how come's to support his choices.

Much like STL, Jordan explores Christian principles and faith issues with layered depth, avoiding the mistake of letting his characters give the easy, pat answers or responses. Life is usually more complicated than fiction. And, there are always consequences.

Forsaken is a well-written and well-paced novel I believe most would enjoy. I also highly-recommend Something That Lasts. To see my review, click here: Something That Lasts - Book Review.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I reviewed this novel, too, Dayle. I loved Taylor Pasbury but not so much Simon Mason. I'd probably give it 3 out of 5 stars. It held an interesting and difficult concept but seemed like the plot resolution was a bit implausible. I haven't read Something That Lasts, but I would read another attempt by the author about the Taylor character.

(Are you sure Simon Mason was her first client--maybe first celebrity client? It's been a few months since I read it.)

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

I think you're right, Nicole. In fact, she was referred to Simon by another client, I think.

I didn't actually write that, I did a copy/paste job of that first paragraph directly from the author's site.

Something that Lasts is the better of the two and definitely worth the read. It is a different style however. More of a character study.