Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The bigger picture . . .

I hate to paraphrase the Bible, but I haven't been able to find a verse I came across a long time ago. I'm not sure of the exact wording but it makes a point that goes something like this:

"If our hope is in this world, we are the most miserable of all men."

I am saddened by how many Christians don't understand this. Defining our lives by so-called successes of this world is the biggest problem facing Christianity caused by Christians. This view leads many to prosperity preaching, the word of faith movement, give to get tithing, and wish-list prayer.

Our hope lies in the next world - Paradise restored. Throughout the ages, Great Christians have lived entire lives in poverty, sickness, and successive tragedies. They viewed this life for what it is: a momentary furlough from Paradise caused by the stain of sin. Their trials are not punishments from God for not being good enough or Christian enough.

I could go on and on but here's a couple of people who've said it better:

From Mercy Me's Bring the Rain,

Bring me joy, bring me peace. Bring the chance to be free. Bring me anything that brings You glory. And I know there'll be days, When this life brings me pain, But if that's what it takes to praise You -- Jesus, bring the rain

To see this personified, read this post by Author Mike Dellosso:

The Gift I Received

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I don't know any sane person who desires suffering, but I do know a lot of faithful Christians who suffer and maintain a strong faith that isn't based on acquired "things" but solely on the love of God. It's a harder mantle to carry, but it produces amazing people of faith.
Good post. And Mike's post is spot on, too--an amazing and difficult journey for him, but look how he views it . . .

Kay Day said...

Hey, look! It's Dayle!

Great post and I agree completely. I have friends who don't. It's hard for me to grasp their way of thinking, but they feel the same about mine.
God is the ultimate teacher, though and teaches us what we need to know, I guess.