Saturday, November 29, 2008

Defining Christian Fiction . . .

What is Christian fiction? . . . Actually, I'm not gonna go there. It's been done to death. There are varied answers to this question. Some valid, some not.

So, what I'd like to do is explore what it means to me while simultaneously respecting and not disregarding the opinions of those who disagree.

By the way, there is an easy fix to this quandary. Why don't we just create another category called "Christian worldview fiction". For example, this category would include some of my favorite writers and novels-everything by Robert Liparulo, roughly half of Ted Dekker's works, and even a couple of Dean Koontz's novels. Loosely defined, it would include any novel written by a professed Christian without the effect of providing the characters or reader with a ministerial or evangelical point.

So I emphasize: TO ME, Christian fiction must point to Christ. Without pointing to Christ, a Christian worldview novel could just as easily be considered a Jewish worldview novel. Without Christ, who happens to be JESUS, the two worldviews presented in a non-specific thriller plot-line, for example, would be indistinguishable.

This is not to say that CWN's are not important. I assume this false assumption is why so many get offended.

MY goal in writing Christian fiction is to take a complex issue and convey it, through story, in a way that makes it more understandable and/or reaffirming. (You can tell it through sermon, or show it through story.) This is what I hope I've done with my novel.

I've read many Christian novels that fit my definition. Including . . .

To be continued . . .

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Good insights, Dayle. And a worthy separation of definitions.