Tuesday, July 29, 2008

How many calories does typing burn?

The darkside of writing: weight gain.

I once declared that I'd never weigh more than 140lbs. I was pretty successful at it, too. I made it to age 33 without crossing the 138 barrier. That's when I got into a car accident which put me on the sidelines for a year. I rocketed up to 145. No problem, I told myself. As soon as my neck healed, I'd be back on the basketball court burning up those calories.

But alas, fate intervened, and I decided to become a writer. I quickly learned that sitting behind a computer every spare minute of your life combined with anxiety-eating caused by trying to write a novel, is not conducive to maintaining a decent weight. I shot up to 174 lbs. Of course, it's all muscle so I'm not too worried about it. Except that the muscle around my mid-section has triggered a mass migration of buttons away from my pants.

The good news is that thanks to the internet, I've learned to sew on buttons. So if you think about it. The cause of my button problem was also the solution.

How's that for a paradox?


Note to reader: there is no point to this post. I'm just upset because I bought a gallon of milk yesterday only to find that it expired 13 days ago. The tragedy is that I always look at the date. But because this particular store has always been so good about having fresh milk on the shelf, I skipped that step.

So the point is: there are no shortcuts. Every step of the process is important. I think . . . uh, excuse me, I need a drink. The cold stuff. Milk.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

No kidding, Dayle. And when you aren't writing, you get hungry. :(

Todd said...

102 calories per hour

According to www.calorie-count.com

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/activity/604.html



... and I thought my last post about getting reacquainted with my cookware was self indulgent ...

Todd said...

Oh BTW, studies have show that physical activity increases brain activity. You may write better if you get a little exercise first. So, wanna join me at the Y?