Tuesday, April 15, 2008

In case you're wondering . . .

I am feeling better but I still have a bad cough. Nothing like the throat and sinus problem I had for almost two weeks.

I never went to a doctor growing up. When we got sick, which was rare, we sweated it out. Orange juice, chicken noodle soup, and the sofa.

I remember one time when I got a bad case of poison ivy which caused my face to swell so much my nose almost closed up, I had to sweat it out. No medicine, no itch cream. Only aspirin and aloe vera plants. I don't blame my dad - that's how he grew up. He didn't know they had all them new fangled drugs out there.

As a kid, when I was told that a friend went to the doctor, I thought the worst. If he had to go to a doctor, it must have been really bad. Nope - I found out later - people go to the doc even for colds. Really!!

( Hey Ryan, You were at the doctor's office so much, I can't tell you how many times I thought you were going to die. Then later I found out your experience was normal, not mine. )

Okay, I'm starting to babble, so I'll sign off now . . .

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Glad you're recovering. Praise the Lord.

(I hate going to the doctor. I'd rather go to the dentist for two weeks straight than set a foot inside a doctor's office.)

Kay said...

glad you're feeling better!
I grew up in the doctor's office.
I hardly ever take my kids. Why bother just to have them tell me to do the stuff I'm already doing?

Sore throats are the exception, but my kids have never had strep.

Todd said...

I get a lot of sinus infections. If I just doctor myself they usually take 6-8 days to clear up. If I go to the doctor they're usually cleared up in about a week!

Janet Rubin said...

I can't imagine sweating out a sinus infection without antibiotics! Imagine that in so many places around the world, there is no doctor/medicine option. We are blessed in the USA. Good to hear from you, DJ

ryan said...

You are right, Dayle. As a child, I think I became immune to Dymatap. That was like grape juice to me. We took it for just about everything.
We turned out alright though… at least we hope.

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Yeah, I remember that, Ryan. Didn't you used to rub some Dymatap on your throwing arm when we used to play baseball?