Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Local landmark . . .

This is a small, very old church on Deadwood Road a few hundred feet from where I grew up.

This is the church where they filmed the movie The Apostle by Robert Duvall.

The church is actually sitting on a parcel of drained swamp surrounded by a levee. During heavy rains and localized flooding, the graves, sometimes, pop out of the ground. As a teenager I rode my bike there to find two had floated across the street and came to rest on some cypress knees along the bayou where my dad said they did submersion baptisms when he was a kid.



In New Orleans, in some of the older graveyards, bones have reportedly "seeped" to the surface. The older caskets were not placed in the concrete tombs. So, when the wood rotted away, the bones were free to move with the water table.

3 comments:

Janet Rubin said...

Wow. That's wild. The dead mostly stay put in CT (for now at least. ha ha)
I LOVE old buildings. And the movie The Apostle.
Thanks for the history lesson, DJ.

Nicole said...

I loved that movie.

Joy said...

I remember that movie! Robert Duvall is such a great actor, but he plays the villan so well it makes me think he might really BE evil! That's wild about the moving bones. . . I wonder if they've been placed in cement burial chambers now? Hmmm, sounds like an interesting piece to a story. . .