Saturday, February 2, 2008

More on Chelsea . . .

Chelsea did live a good life. Besides checkups, I never had to take her to the vet. She lived her whole life in comfort and had pretty much had her way.

She never tore anything up, was house-trained very early, and obeyed commands without fail.

I remember one time I told her to "stay" - for some reason I can't remember now (we were in the back bedroom). When I finished what I was doing, I went lay on the couch. About an hour later I heard her trademark "I need something" whimper. I looked down the hall and she was standing in the same spot she was when I told her to "stay". Needless to say, I felt terrible and gave her several pieces of cheese and plenty of attention to appease my guilt.

My only regret is that the scientific community never got a chance to study her. There's a theory that says animals are incapable of a creative thought. They simply act on instinct and application of chance observations. I truly believe Chelsea disproved this theory. Unfortunately, she may have been unique in this matter because I can't say the same thing about any of my other dogs. Including her son, Teddy. Who - bless his heart - is as lovable as can be, but he's not nearly as bright as his mother.

One more point: I think the sadness we feel is rooted in more than just our loss. It's because we can never give them as much love as they give us. They would love us 24/7 if they could. The only thing stopping them is they have to wait for us to give them the opportunity. The only thing Teddy wants in life is to be next to me.

2 comments:

Kay said...

What kind of dog was she?
She sounds a lot like our dog. She's very well behaved. And sweet.
It's been a long time since I lost a pet, because it's been a long time since I've had one. But it sure is painful.

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

She was a mutt. I don't have any good pictures of her. But, she looked like a Westie - Terrier mix. Maybe some poodle in there.