Friday, January 11, 2008

Soldier Care Package Update . . .

Back in November I decided I wanted to send a Care Package to a soldier for Christmas.I don't know anyone currently serving, so Donna (FLeisher) pointed me to www.anysoldier.com where you can read letters from soldiers and get their individual addresses.

When my co-workers and customers saw what I was doing they wanted to contribute. I have been fortunate to have 21 people entrust me with $410 so far. I have already shipped 12 packages and have enough money to send 4 more.

I have received 2 Christmas cards and 1 letter from the soldiers expressing their gratitude for my "Small" gesture. (they didn't use the word small)

One said, "I just received a box that you sent me, I wasn't expecting it but it was a great surprise. I want to thank you for caring about us and specially for your prayers that are so much needed in a place like this."

I told my sister about it. She is a cued speech transliterator for Berwick Elementary School. She asked the school if they could make it a school project, which they did. For one week they collected donations. The teachers put up $200 of their own money for the shipping. And some of the kids, 65 I believe made their own Christmas cards with personal notes for the soldiers. All in all, they were able to ship 30 packages.


The soldiers sent a letter with some pictures and answered some of the questions the kids asked in their cards and expressed how much the cards meant to them.

The point is - it's not what we sent, it's that we sent. Everyone wants to be appreciated and few deserve it more than they do.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Very, very cool.

Janet Rubin said...

Yes, very. A good feeling, isn't it? Lord, bring them home safe...

donna fleisher said...

Ditto what nicole said. Very very indeed. And what Janet said. Safe ... and soon. : )

Winter Peck said...

Dayle,

As the wife of a soldier who recently returned from Iraq, I can't tell you how much we appreciated people who would send care packages. My husband got a lot of them from school kids, and those were the best ones he received.

If you're looking for some future chances, my husband has transfered to a new unit that will be deploying this fall to Afghanistan. This will be a huge undertaking for our state of IL, since over 3,000 National Guardsmen will be going.

Getting those care packages really helped out the families back home, because more often than not our guys received essentials they needed which left us open at home to send them their special things they wanted.

Thank you,

Winter
http://elasah.com/rodeosuspense/

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

"Getting those care packages really helped out the families back home, because more often than not our guys received essentials they needed which left us open at home to send them their special things they wanted."

That's great to know, winter. I never thought about it from that angle before.

Let me know if he uses anysoldier.com or e-mail me his address when he's set. I have a donation can at work so hopefully in a couple of months I can send a couple more.