Friday, January 25, 2008

I Just Don't Get it . . .

Well, it's that time of year and once again I find myself in the minority.

Mardi Gras has begun. Over the next week and a half twelve parades will roll in Houma, shutting down whole sections of town, disrupting traffic all the while providing a tolerable environment for the relaxation of many laws including the one against underage drinking.

What I'm about to say is considered blasphemy around here, but I just don't get it. Why do people spend thousands of dollars, dress up in weird costumes, get drunk, and throw worthless trinkets out of a float. Conversely, why would someone want to stand in the cold while watching drunk people throw worthless trinkets out of a float while the people around them trample each other for a plastic bead. I just don't get it. If I could afford it, I'd leave Louisiana every year during Mardi Gras.

Last year, I was fortunate to be out of town. I went to the C.W.G. conference in Colorado Springs. Instead of waiting Mardi Gras out, I'd be in the Rocky Mountains enjoying the scenery and the snow. Before the conference, I walked around the grounds of the beautiful snow covered landscape of the Broadmoor Resort, taking pictures and enjoying my good fortune. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door of the conference center to the sounds of Mardi Gras music and costumes. They were having a Mardi Gras ball right next to the conference.

In local Christian circles, the inevitable question of "to Mardi Gras or not to Mardi Gras" becomes the topic of conversation. Like Halloween, I believe this is a matter of personal conviction. Which leads me to the topic I really wanted to discuss. More on that tomorrow.

Side note: If your child is in the school band and the school band is marching in a parade, they have to participate or risk a failing grade.

2 comments:

Kay said...

I'd rather be in Colorado, too! The thing here is that you have to intentionally seek out a Mardi Gras celebration.
I can understand your feelings and am interested to see your post tomorrow.

Jerry Pat Bolton said...

I completely agree with you, it is insanity . . . But I suppose you can follow the money . . . And the tradition . . . Still, I completely agree with you . . .