Thursday, December 6, 2007

Need a professional editor, but . . .

don't know who to trust?

Well, it ain't me.

But, I highly recommend my friend, Donna Fleisher. Besides having four published novels, she's also a freelance editor. Check it out here: I'll Read It.

I can personally testify that every word you read on her site is true. How do I know? Because I'm not just pretending to be the president of her company for this joke, I'm also a client. She delivers exactly what she promises and the best part is you won't have to mortgage your home to pay for it. But don't let the very low price fool you. This is a quality edit - not a hit and run. Not only does she edit your manuscript, but she also records her impressions and explanations on tape for you.

I have been to two conferences and read ten books on fiction and I can honestly say I learned more from having my work critiqued by Donna Fleisher than all of those combined.

While you're there check out her CD set: Bringing Fiction to Life. Also highly recommended by yours truly.

**side note: Don't worry, she will not try to change your voice.

11 comments:

Jerry Pat Bolton said...

I don't suppose she works with memoirs, eh?

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

I would say not, Jerry. Besides, you're probably pass the point of needing a freelance editor. Your stuff's pretty clean.

Jerry Pat Bolton said...

Hah!

donna fleisher said...

What's this I see at Dayle's blog this morning?

Aww, thank ya, sir. : )

And Jerry? I've been known to take a look at a memoir or two, but it's definitely not my specialty.

If you're interested, check out the freelancers at the Christian PEN: Proofreaders and Editors Network. www.theChristianPEN.com. There are lots of great folks there who would love to help.

Thanks again, Dayle. Quite a surprise this a.m.

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

No problemo, Donna.

I agonized for a long time whether or not to take the plunge and spend the money.

The two biggest impediments were: Cost (of course) and What exactly am I going to get?

Not only is your service affordable but on your site, you spell out exactly what prospective clients can expect. And, you weren't lying.

So,I'm trying to save other aspiring writers some anguish.

p.s. After I'm a best selling author, I'll post it again.

donna fleisher said...

After you're a best selling author, I'll expect the rest of your payment.

BWWAAAHH-HAA-HAA-HAA-HAA ....

donna fleisher said...

Okay, that last note wasn't even funny. Sorry, I couldn't resist. When you're a best selling author, I'll edit your work for free. Just for the fun of it. : )

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

You're right, Donna. I didn't find it funny at all. Please call off your goons, I'm doing the best I can. (did that save it? Or, did I make it worse?)

Maybe we need a comment editor. Interesting laugh, by the way.

donna fleisher said...

Goons???? Bwaah-hah-haaahh-haah ... whatever. I'm not sure how it's spelled. Sounds pretty nasty though. Too nasty for me. I prefer little hee-hee-hees. And : )s. Lottsa : )s.

I'll crawl back in my hole now. ; )

Janet Rubin said...

I love quoting things out of context:

Dayle James Arceneaux said, "Don't know who to trust? Well, it ain't me."

I loved Wounded Healer, Donna:)

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Yeah, Janet, it's a good thing I'm not running for office. My opponents would have jumped all over that.

Some authors actually do this. I read somewhere that an author got a review that said something like "I was astonished at how bad it was." The author actually used it on his book. Of course, it read "I was astonished . . ."