Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Happy Holydays!

I noticed that more store employees told me "Merry Christmas" this year. That gets two big thumbs up from me.

Now I know some Christians don't think we shouldn't get so worked up about this issue. So what if they want to say "Happy Holidays"? We shouldn't force Christmas on anyone. Well, I certainly agree with that. But there is something deeper going on here that does bother me.

It doesn't bother me if someone tells me "Happy Holidays". What bothers me is that they are purposefully not telling me "Merry Christmas".

You see, in reality, this is not about Christmas. This is about Christ. Christmas means Christ's day or Christ's Mass.

There is a strategy of incrementalism in play. Those who want to push Jesus out of our culture know they can't do it in one fell swoop. They have to do it one seemingly unnoticeable small push at a time. They are exceedingly patient. It works because on each small issue the response is "so what? Why quibble over this?" And, after a thousand 'so what's, they have their fell swoop.

Today, they want to do away with 'Merry Christmas'. But they won't stop there because that's not their goal. They are thinking long term. Their next target will be 'Happy Holidays'.

Don't believe me? Just remember - Holiday means Holy day.

3 comments:

ryan said...

I could not beleive it myself. I notice it most at Wal-Mart and Sams. I listened to a few radio stations saying Merry Christmas as well. It was nice to here that when you were waiting to get the Happy Holidays'

Kay said...

I agree with you that people are trying to squeeze Christ out of our culture.
But here's my question. And I'm not trying to be argumentative -- that's not me at all -- just thinking here.
So, what if they do squeeze Him out?
I would hate it. We all (Christians) would hate it. But would He? Was it ever His intention or goal to be culturally accepted? In fact, wasn't He pretty counter-cultural when He was here?
His purpose is to transform individual lives. To draw us to Him. To teach us to live counter-culturally, too. "Be not conformed to the world..."
I admit, it makes it easier for us to be Christians when it's socially acceptable, but maybe it's too easy sometimes?

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

I understand what you're saying, Kay, but I think we're looking at this from two different viewpoints.

Btw, I'm actually planning a book on the subject but I'll try to scratch the surface here.

I'm thinking more evangelical and geo-political than what you're speaking to.

On the evangelical side, I see it as a battle for souls. If Jesus is pushed out of our culture a la Europe, then fewer will come to Christ.

On the geo-political side, the only thing keeping a country as free as America from possibly becoming the next Nazi Germany is the Judeo-Christian influence in our government and culture. As John Adams said "We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion"

Well, instead of going on and on, I'll just send you a copy of my future book and we can discuss it then. :)