Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Giving thanks . . .

No, this isn't really about the holidays, but it is about giving thanks to those who have supported you.

After reading Demon - A Memoir by Tosca Lee, I sent her an e-mail telling her how much I loved it. I told her Demon is now tied with Dean Koontz's Watchers as my favorite novel ever. And, to me it is a perfect example of "Christian Fiction". Demon is also the perfect example of what I hope to do with my writing. To take a Christian concept and present it in such a way to make it more understandable or reaffirming, while entertaining at the same time of course. Presenting the gospel with no condescension or patronizing tone.

She responded with a wonderful e-mail thanking me and expressing to me how my words have encouraged her. I'll never delete that e-mail and I'll never forget that she took the time to thank me in such a personal way. (Believe it or not, I have written other CBA authors to praise their work and haven't gotten even a generic response. )

But she has now gone further than that. On her blog, she has taken the time to thank those who have supported and encouraged her.

And, guess whose name is among them. That's right--Little ole me. I feel a little unworthy, but I am grateful.

Please go to this link and read the following: Toscology. If you're reading this late, you may have to scroll down to the November 18th entry.

10 comments:

Janet Rubin said...

The power of encouragement is an amazing thing. I have saved so many encouraging emails, letters and comments on my writing. They are just precious. I am thankful. Very.

Jerry Pat Bolton said...

Fantastic, Dayle, and you should be proud, it is an honor. I went to her site and tried to pull up the first chapter, but it said I couldn't . . . This is a novel and not a "true" memoir, isn't it? I like the premise she gave . . .

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

That's right, Jerry. It is a novel.

Copy and paste the following to read her first chapter and an interview:

http://noveljourney.blogspot.com/search?q=TOSCA+LEE

Jerry Pat Bolton said...

Thank, Dayle . . .

Nicole said...

Heartfelt praise for a work well done is both a wonderful gift to give and to receive. Bless her for honoring you, Dayle.

Janet Rubin said...

The very fact that she took the time to type out that last name of yours and spell it correctly is touching in itself:)

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Ha! ( is that the way to express a heartfelt laugh?)

You got that right, Janet. That took work and careful thought. There's no way you can passively type my name.

I was so impressed, I didn't even notice she spelled my first name wrong. Not that it matters. I actually spelled my name "Dale" until I was 13. But that's a story for another day.

Dawn said...

I've seen some of Tosca Lee's interviews - she's very humble.

Tosca said...

I'm so embarassed for spelling it wrong. Arg!

For the record, I'm never deleting your e-mail either, Dayle. :)

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Thanks for stopping by Tosca. And don't worry about misspelling my first name. You get total forgiveness for getting my last name correct. : )

Btw, I'll respond to almost anything with a "D". Doyle, Darryl, David, etc.