Friday, October 19, 2007

What's in a name?

I like to fret over everything. Take my name for example. Dayle Arceneaux. Weird right?

First of all, my first name could be confused for the opposite gender. Don't believe me? I have a female first cousin named-you guessed it - Dayle. That's right. Same name, same spelling. So, for writing purposes, I threw in my middle name. Dayle James Arceneaux.

Not bad. But a little long. I thought about James Dayle as a sort of real pen name. But that would leave out the Cajun connection. And Darn it, I want to use my real name because I want people to know it's me. But, what about that? Tom Cruise doesn't care. His real name is Thomas Mapother. Want more real names?

Bea Arthur - Bernice Frankel ------------------ Lauren Bacall - Betty Joan Perske
Robert Blake - Michael Gubitosi -------------- Patsy Cline - Virginia Hensley
John Denver - Henry Deutschendorf Jr. ---- Bo Derek - Cathleen Collins
Bo Diddley - Elias Bates ------------------------ Kirk Douglas - Issur Danielovitch
Morgan Fairchild - Patsy McClenny ---------- Redd Foxx - John Sandford
Whoopi Goldberg - Caryn Johnson ----------- Harry Houdini - Ehrich Weiss
Ben Kingsley - Krishna Banji ------------------ Michael Landon - Eugene Orowitz
Lee Majors - Harvey Lee Yeary 2nd ---------- Dean Martin - Dino Crocetti
George Michael - Georgios Panayiotou ------ Chuck Norris - Carlos Ray
Tony Randall - Leonard Rosenberg ---------- Ginger Rogers - Virginia McMath
Roy Rogers - Leonard Slye -------------------- Mickey Rooney - Joe Yule Jr.
Martin Sheen - Ramon Estevez -------------- Danny Thomas - Muzyad Yakhoob
Tina Turner - Annie Mae Bullock ------------ Conway Twitty - Harold Jenkins
Stevie Wonder - Stevland Morris

So, am I just more egotistical than these guys? I don't think so. Different business. So, the point of all this is: What's your opinion? Dayle James Arceneaux Ditch it or not? If so, any suggestions?

By the way: For the purpose of this post, we'll assume that I will be published.

10 comments:

Nicole said...

Absolutely: Dayle James Arceneaux.

(Those changed names are amazing, aren't they?)

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Two more:

Michael Keaton's real name -- Michael Douglas. I guess it was already taken.

Fred Astaire -- Frederick Austerlitz (I understand this one-it sounds a little too German for post WWII America.)

Mark Harbeson said...

Go with your real name. If you're gonna write for the Lord, put it all out there.

There's another famous actor whose real name is just terrible for stage purposes...but I'm blanking on him. I'll have to see if I can find him.

Janet Rubin said...

Eugene Orowitz? I loved Michael Landon.

I think Janet Rubin is a pretty boring name... but I gotta be me. Plus Jesus will give me a new name in Heaven:)

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Actually, Janet, I think Rubin is a great author name.

It's perfect for one of those two initial names: i.e. J.K. Rubin.

Janet Rubin said...

Oooh. Initials. Yeah, that could work.

J.L. Rubin

Good night, D.J. I'm off to bed with Harry Potter...

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

All kiddin aside, Janet. I really like J.L. Rubin. I think you should go with it.

Nicole's hyphenated name works very well.

Mark Harbeson sounds good, too.

Janet Rubin said...

Hey, don't forget the one-name option. You know, like Madonna or Prince. I could just be JANET. You could be DAYLE. Or just RUBIN and ARCENEAUX. Oh, wait, how about backwards? Tenaj sounds exotic. You'd be Elyad. Sounds middle-eastern. Elocin would be Nicole's, but that sound like some kind of medication. Mark would be Kram.
Er...I guess I've stayed up too late once again. Night night.

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

How about 'the writer formerly known as Dayle'

Kay said...

Keep it, I say. But, you may consider doing initials yourself. The plus for a short name is that it can be in larger font on the cover of your book. That's why Angela Hunt took the Elwell out.