Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween pet peeve . . .

Coincidence? I think not.

Almost every television show which does the yearly obligatory halloween special always has one of the kids in a devil costume.

Is this necessary? For starters, there would be outrage if one of the kids dressed as Jesus or Moses. That would be deemed intolerant and offensive to other religions. But the devil is just a harmless little character which represents the season.

So let's get this straight: Christmas episodes are now devoid of Jesus, but Halloween episodes are full of devils. - -- - - - Wake up America!

Also, isn't this a little abusive to the child. "Hey kid you're gonna be the devil. Isn't that exciting. Okay act like the devil for us. Isn't he a cute little devil."

Post addendum: Another point - ask a kid what costume he wants to wear. I gaurantee you it won't be the devil. It'll be someone good - spider-man, batman, or when I was a kid: The Lone Ranger.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

You get it, Dayle.

Mark Harbeson said...

Never really noticed that before, but it's true.

Janet Rubin said...

we went trick or treating. one of my girls was Laura Ingalls in a bonnet, the other was a native American. Not very scary. Of course half my friends think we're horrible for even participating. Ah well...

I don't get too wound up about Halloween. It's mostly about creepy stuff, which I don't like, but it is what it is. Now Christmastime I get a little annoyed because it IS supposed to be about Jesus... and well, our holiday has been seriously hi-jacked!

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Janet, I loved halloween when I was a kid. But, I didn't like trick-or-treating.

In fact,. . . well, instead of going on and on here, I'll post about it.

stay tuned . . . ( or just check in tomorrow.)