Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My Two Scents - episode 1.

Prologues - Necessary element of a story? Or scourge of the earth?

I'm about to post my opinion on prologues. I have thought about this for many minutes. The subject of prologues is something I would like to share my opinions on. So stay tuned for my thoughts on prologues. Are you ready to hear my thoughts on prologues? Don't worry, I'm about to begin. But first, let me tell you about the first time I considered posting my thoughts on prologues. It was about an hour ago . . .

The above is why I don't like prologues. Valid or not, the net effect is that prologues are perceived by my brain to delay the story. The story starts at Chapter 1. Get to it.

When I buy a book, I want to immerse myself in that world. A prologue says "Hold on. Before you get to the exciting part, read this."

There are exceptions of course, but they are few.

I will definitely read an afterword. Somehow, they interest me because they might shed more light on the world the author created or why he created it or who knows what might be revealed. But, most importantly - since they are at the end of the book, they cannot delay the story.

Need to write a prologue - - - call it Chapter 1.

2 comments:

ellehasuly said...

I solve this problem by just ignoring all prologues. I don't read them, and I don't think I ever will. Will I miss something I might have enjoyed or benefited from? Maybe. I still don't like them. I think that the story should speak for itself.

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

I usually do also. My theory i because I've been fooled so many times. For me, if chapter 1 reads like a prologue then ... so what? The reader will get it.

There have been good prologues. They were usually short, time or place seperated from chapter 1.