Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Catholic Bashing

For years I have defended the Catholic church against the Catholic bashing that is prevalent among some of the protestant churches.

I have argued for years that just because the practice of confessing your sins to priests and praying to saints is clearly not Biblical, that is no reason to judge the state of salvation of practicing Catholics. Please debate the theology all you want, but leave the salvation of the rank and file out of it.

Unfortunately, I have actually heard members of some pentecostal denominations actually say that all Catholics are going to hell because of these practices.

But now, after all these years of defending them, I have been blindsided. Today, according to the Associated Press, the Pope has reissued a statement that says all Protestant and other Christian denominations were not true churches, but merely ecclesial communities and therefore did not have the "means of salvation".

I hope this is not true or taken out of context. But, here it is in black and white.

Oh, well. I will still defend the lay Catholic from the charges that they are going to hell because of the theology of their leaders. But it would be easier if that hierarchy didn't believe that I am going to hell because I'm not a Catholic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It boils down to the Gospel of John chapter six does it not?

Peter

Dayle James Arceneaux said...

Peter,

I assume you are referring to verses 43-51?